Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Rolandale Journals 090401

The Rolandale Journals

April 1, 2009, I am hiding out at Rolandale from April Fool's Day,
even though I feel like a fool! I am up in the room that will 1st be
my studio-study and maybe someday be my study of the studio moves to a
Florida room yet to be built. I am using K's old computer which is
greasy and sticky to the touch and feels very strange and different
than all my other computers. I also forgot to bring up my glasses,
but the timer is due to go off for the chicken baking in the oven, so
there is not point in going down to get them. I hope I remember to
bring them up when I come up to do some serious writing!

I had a bad night last night, I got all upset because K and I had
another misunderstanding—I was so upset that I couldn't sleep. Then
there were a series of other minor problems, none of which are with
writing about, but the pile of them delayed me and got me depressed
and upset. But I am here now. I feel hot and tired and sad. But I
am here and hope to do some writing. The first thing I want to tackle
is the timeline for the Geraldine Manuscript. I also need a full name
for it and to find the spots where it needs attention.

Other things I need to do:
· yardwork/exercise
· work on a mole
· the iceberg piece or pieces
· unpacking and organizing
· inventrory and put away paints

oops, there goes the timer for the chicken

2:52 PM Keith just pulled in as I was finishing my late lunch, still
need to take my vitamins.

Watercolor Paint inventory 090401:

· Windsor red, 5 ml, 14 ml,
· Windsor Red Deep, WN, 5 ml, more than half gone
· Quinacridone Red, 5 ml windsor Newton, 7.5 ml Utrech
· Indian Red, 5 ml HWC, 7.5 ml Grumbacher academy
· Alizarin Crimson, 8 ml cotman
· Cadmium orange, 5 ml Windsor Newton, 8 ml cottman
· Windsor yellow, 14 ml, 5 ml nearly empty (Windsor Newtorn)
· Windsor yellow deep, 5 ml nearly empty (Windsor Newtorn)
· Indian Yellow, windsor Newton 5 ml
· Golden Lake, Maimer Blu, 15 ml
· Thalo yellow-green, 7.5 ml Grumbacher academy
· Windsor Newton Green gold, 5 ml
· Sap Green, 5 ml HWC, 8 ml cotman,
· Permanent Sap Green, WN 5 ml
· Olive Green, Windsor Newton, 37 ml, 5 ml
· Terre verte yellow shade, WN 5 ml
· Windsor Blue, Red shade, WN 14 ml, 5 ml
· Windsor Blue, green shade, WN 14 ml, 5 ml
· Prussian Blue, Cotman, 7.5 ml
· Cobalt Blue, Cotman, 7.5 ml
· Ultramarine Deep, 15 ml, Maimer Blu
· Indigo, Cotman, 7.5 ml
· Pthalo Turquoise, WN, 5 ml
· Cerulean Blue Hue, Grumbacher academy, 7.5 mls
· Payme's grey, Cotman 7.5
· Cobalt violet, cotman, 7.5, 2
· Violet (Thalo purple), Grumbacher academy, 7.5 mls
· Ultramarine violet, WN, 5 ml, almost gone
· Verzino violet—nearly pink, 15 ml, Maimer blu
· Raw Umber, WN 14, GA 7.5 almost gone
· Burnt umber, GA, 7.5
· Raw Sienna, GA, 7.5 almost gone, CM 7.5
· Burnt Sienna, CM, 7.7
· Sepia, CM 7.5
· Yellow Ochre, WN 14

4:40 PM I just sat and made a sample page of every water color I own
by color and brand. It took me a long time. It was a lot harder
than it seems as if it should be, opening each tube, getting some out,
putting the top back washing the brush—some were hard to open or close
or both. Tiresome and kind of boring doing it, but the results are
interesting. Yellow ochre, golden lake and raw sienna look very
similar whereas two different brands of Quinacridone red look quite
different. Some paints like Pthalo turquoise get VERY dark whereas
others like cobalt violet and cerulean blue have very little variation
in color intensity. Some of them are dense and opaque like gouache
while others are nicely transparent or translucent. Some have a gummy
texture and don't mix well with water like olive green. I don't like
the dullness of the cerulean blue. The color is close to being
right, but it should not look dull!

5:41 PM, I walked and then I worked briefly in the garden—laid three
stepping stones, and then I swept the paint and plaster crumbs ip from
the floor in the study. We will be leaving at 6 and I have to pack up.
So I am going to turn off Connie the Compaq and pack it up to take
home.

Goodnight Connie,* goodnight, all. XOX mary

*Connie is the Compaq

No comments: